Here are the automated WP numbers from the Raptors first three games (or view as a spreadsheet here):
My thoughts for the first week of the season:
- Wow. Reggie Evans is actually getting playing time! What we saw in preseason wasn't just experimentation
- Evans is killing it on the boards - 25 reb/48 - and it's boosting up his WP48. He's 9th in the league in total wins right now!
- And yet...his scoring is total garbage. Good thing he isn't shooting at all
- Bargnani hasn't been terrible so far; bad, but not terrible
- Sure, he's scored 33 1/3 points per 48 on 1.08 PPS...but your starting centre is grabbing only 4.3 Reb per 48 (eeeewww)
- Overall, Calderon hasn't played well yet either
- After being a very players during the preseason, both Kleiza and Jack haven't played as well. Blame Jack's performance on injuries, Kleiza's on...poor rebounding and bad TO numbers
- DeRozan has played well - good rebounding numbers so far
- Andersen continues to be the rich man's Bargnani, and continues to shoot better and rebound better than the Italian
- Amir Johnson played three games without missing a FG!
- But he hasn't played very much - partly fouls, partly coaching. With Evans playing so well, what's the rotation going to be like when Davis gets back?
- Weems and Barbosa have to shoot better if they aren't going to produce in other areas
- After the promising victory over the Varejao-less Cavs, what a bad finish to the Sacramento game
Also, I'd like to address something: Bargnani is not a SF. He plays centre defensively most of the time, and if you squint really hard, you can pretend that he's a 3 on offense. But if you average those two aspects of the game, you get (at best) someone who is strictly a PF. The good thing is that Evans and Bargnani complement each other well; Evans can't (and doesn't) shoot, and Bargnani can't (and doesn't) rebound. If you add the two together, you get two frontcourt players with the following per 48min averages:
It's important to remember two things, however: Evans should get all the credit for gaining the extra possessions (rebounds), and Evans will fall back to earth in a couple of games, making this average far less appealing in the near future. I'll be keeping track of the Bargnavans factor throughout the season if this keeps up.