Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mission Statement

Thanks to an (of course) anonymous commenter, it has come to my attention that some people may misunderstand what it is I am trying to achieve with this blog.

So, what is it that I'm trying to do here? This blog will cover the performance of the Toronto Raptors using (almost exclusively) data from a Wins Produced perspective. Information on the Wins Produced methodology can be found at The Wages of Wins Journal.

What is it that this blog (and by extension, me) is not trying to do? This blog will post very little (if any) novel ways of looking at basketball statistics, and by that, I mean that all the statistical methods that will be used on this blog will have already been developed by someone else. I am not an expert in the field of statistics; I have taken (and passed with flying colours, thank you) university classes on statistics and excelled in math during my formative years, but I will not pretend to hold expertise when I do not. Now, just because I am not an "expert", that does not mean I am ignorant to statistical arguments. As a general rule, I try to make sure that nothing that comes out of my mouth (or my fingers) is stupid, and I do my homework before I say something. That being said, if you ever see me write something that isn't completely true, let me know via comments.

But please, rather than assuming complete incompetence, give me the benefit of the doubt and assume instead that I was simply being lazy and/or careless. While those are not necessarily the best qualities either, we can all admit to having lazy and careless moments on occasion.

 - Devin.

No comments:

Post a Comment